Has anybody read The Lost Cult yet?

• Has anybody read the second Tomb Raider novel "The Lost Cult" yet? I tried to get it here today but it was not in the stores, I missed my chance to order it from amazon before I go on holiday, well what a shame.

If you have read it, what do you think?

• Anybody else who has read it?

What did you think? What did you like, what didn't you like.

I have to admit, I didn't like the attraction between Lara and her companion. It was too quick for my taste. After all he was a bit different, and (hopefully I don't sound too full of prejudice) these things take their time.

• I read it, finished it in three days because I was so excited about the book. Here's my honest opinion. It wasn't the best read I came across. It was an *ok* read. I don't know if it lacked originality, or the real Lara essence but it was very difficult for me to read all the way. The only reason I finished it is because I needed to know how it ended. If I were to choose between the Lost Cult and The Amulet of Power, my vote definitely goes for the Amulet of Power.

Also, I didn't think the chemistry between Lara and Borg worked well, at least it didn't look quite realistic. Way too fast if you ask me. And I don't think Lara would even set her eyes on her friend's fiancee, so to speak. It doesn't suite her character that well. The only thing I really liked about the book were Lara's sarcasm and attitude, especially towards Urdmann. That's about it. The action was ok, not the best. The lost cult is the equivalent of the rushed and glitchy AOD. But, AOD, imo, is still a good game.

• I absolutely share your opinion on the book. I also found the Amulet of Power better, again not perfect, but better.

I also didn't like the way Borg and Lara connected just like that. Also he was a bit different than usual man, let's face it, one has to get used to it. It will take at least a few days longer to warm up to him, and also the fact that he had a girlfriend - or at least thought so. I mean, if he were charming, perfect, single and everything, I could imagine Lara falling for someone that quickly, but not in this case.

• What about the man of bronze?
    I've heard that Lara goes to Brazil (my country). I am a little worried because many people think wrong things about Brazil(e. g.: lots of people think that we speak Spanish, but we speak Portuguese.)
    What do u think? Is it a good book? And how Brazil is shown?

Nothing is completely wrong in the world. Even a broken clock shows the correct time twice every day. *Cool, don't you think?*

• The episode in Brasil is very short. Which "many people" are you referring to? I know you guys speak Portuguese. :D I don't think anyone would get wrong ideas about your country from this book, and if so, they are stupid. Not much is said about it.

I have just finished the man of bronze and I found it pretty strange overall. At some point the author joked about the possibility of firing two uzis at once, yes, maybe this is unrealistic, but next up is a silver grenade that forms a forcefield around a person through which he cannot breath, but fight.

I think that either you admit that it's fiction, then you can present silver-forcefields and twin-uzi-fights. Or you stay realistic and nobody uses two uzis at once, or some high-tech-magical crap.

If I'd have to make a hitlist of the three books, I would like the first best, then the second, then the third. - I have read better fanfictions.

Original von tombraidergirl

The episode in Brasil is very short. Which "many people" are you referring to? I know you guys speak Portuguese. :D I don't think anyone would get wrong ideas about your country from this book, and if so, they are stupid. Not much is said about it.

I wasn't talking about you, but I've seen people being surprised when they dicover that we speak Portuguese. It happens becuse almost the whole South America speaks Spanish.

Original von tombraidergirl

I have read better fanfictions.

You should say: I have written better fanfictions. (I had so much fun reading DiL) :)

Nothing is completely wrong in the world. Even a broken clock shows the correct time twice every day. *Cool, don't you think?*

• Hey, I'm new at the forum! [:D]
    I think this book was an okay Tomb Raider novel, although I agree with your points about Borg... I liked the way the author used references to the Tomb Raider games, that was good! I didn't like the whole VADS pistols thing, it was too technical and Lara isn't one who wields the latest gadgets, I don't think. The whole story about the Mené was pretty cool and I liked it when they were shooting down the mutations in the Whispering Abyss (although we didn't hear about why the creatures were so huge)! Overall, I think its a mediocre-good book. I am now starting to read Man of Bronze and it looks like it's going to be weird :o
    I haven't read the Amulet of Power as I have heard that it does not portray Lara well and it does not keep in tune with the Tomb Raider series... what do you guys think?

:shoot: Twiin Pistols

Original von Twiin Pistols

I didn't like the whole VADS pistols thing, it was too technical and Lara isn't one who wields the latest gadgets, I don't think.

Agreed. I see Lara using any weapon she might pick up on her way, or her standard pistols, but no high tech voice activated crap.

I actually liked the first book best I must say after I have read all three. The problem I am having with Amulet of Power is that it claims to be the story between TR4 and AoD, but somehow it's not filling all the gaps like it should do.