Tomb Raider Underworld: General Discussion

• Its too short on actual Gameplay, the graphic, especially the textures of the Characters, are XBOX Graphic and not Next-Gen Graphics. But worst of all, it doesnt have the famous TR flair anymore. Weird Storyline, Geographical locations quite boring, on XBOX 360 it saves every bloody chapter as a separate Savefile, overall, not satisfying. I've played all TR games exept AoD, so i know what i'm talking about.

And also no "what happened before" option.

Okay, there's definitely a few things wrong here. First of all, next-gen graphics are next-gen graphics. Systems don't make their own graphics. It's not the system, it's the game. Remember that, as it'll be a valuable piece of information to you in the future.

Second of all, why are you complaining that the game autosaves after every chapter in the game? Maybe that's so you can REPLAY THE LEVEL.... :stupid .

Third, and most humorous, the 'Previously on Tomb Raider' bit that you're mentioning...try EXTRAS, then TRAILERS AND CREDITS. You'll find it there.

Please forgive me if I seem crude in my response, but I don't find it logical to trash a game with inaccurate call points.

• I thought I might throw this question out, just to see what you all make of it.

Whilst the TV was playing in the background, a couple of presenters were discussing recent game releases and they began the scrutinisation of TRU. When summing up the pros and cons, one of them said,

"Rest In Peace Tomb Raider, the franchise is over".

What do you think of it? Seeing as I haven't played the game yet I can't comment.

• I think that saying the franchise is over is illogical and well, stupid. I'm sick of watching these game shows, including X-Play, because I hate hearing the opinions of ignoramuses who think they know everything there is to know on video games just because they're on a gaming show. Oh please, :stupid . Narcissistic ninnies.

Anyhow, I remember reading that Eidos and Crystal Dynamics planned on continuing the Angel of Darkness trilogy, continuing of course where AoD left off - but that could just be a rumor. The fact is however, that Angel of Darkness, (this was confirmed by Eidos), was the first part of a trilogy. When they plan on continuing it officially is beyond me.

Besides, Tomb Raider is so popular, how can they end it here? That's like...if they stopped making James Bond games or Grand Theft Auto games. You just don't do that for a long time.

But I'll admit, I was a little disappointed with Underworld - it wasn't as epic to me as they made it seem. They talked about a whole new control system and all that, but I could have sworn I was playing Legend, just with different locations, [hehe] . Besides, I miss the 'heavy' Lara from the older games, where she seemed heavier, not in weight, but in controlling - when she jumped, she didn't jump as easily or gracefully - it looked like she took some momentum in her jump. Does that make sense?

• Alright now, after reading all that I must ask you a question. Since I don't have the game yet, ( still waiting for it to be released ) would you recommend it ? :think:

• Alright now, after reading all that I must ask you a question. Since I don't have the game yet, ( still waiting for it to be released ) would you recommend it ? :think:

I would recommend to rent it before you buy it. You can complete the game on a bloody weekend anyways.

Like Catacomb said, its a little disappointing for a TR Fan.

• Who in the damned world is 'Catacomb'?

Anyhow, yeah, you can finish it on the weekend if you rush through it and play non-stop. If you play it sparingly and take your time, the maximum is about twenty hours. But don't hold your breath - December and January, they're releasing the Xbox 360 downloadable content which adds a lot more hours of gameplay, so when that's released, there's shouldn't be any complaining that the game is too short since it adds a lot more gameplay to the game.

But I'd say rent it first.

• [...]But worst of all, it doesnt have the famous TR flair anymore. Weird Storyline, Geographical locations quite boring, on XBOX 360 it saves every bloody chapter as a separate Savefile, overall, not satisfying. I've played all TR games exept AoD, so i know what i'm talking about.
    [...]
    Look back at TR3 or The Last Revelation, these were games i spent bloody months playing it, even using a bloody walkthrough!
    [...]

@ A-Jay: I agree 100% with the above. :yepp

It also begins to answer the question posed by SJ:

"Rest In Peace Tomb Raider, the franchise is over".

An interesting quote, and I have to say I see their point as it comes close to my thoughts while playing Underworld.

I wrote a more in-depth reflection of the game in the "Completed" Thread, but my main point is that Underworld just does not feel like Tomb Raider. The game-play is too linear to go exploring and getting stuck in the same place for hours because you missed a lever or whatever somewhere, and backtracked all the way to the start of the level only to work your way back again and find said component a minute away from where you were originally ;-) This game just doesn't allow that. Underworld, and to a smaller extent Legend, have missed the point of Tomb Raider and have lost the feeling of the game.
    I could be wrong, but to me, they meant that although games may continue to have the "Tomb Raider" name, they won't match the Classic TRs, that they'll be almost different games. And in that case, I'm afraid I'd have to agree.

• I would recommend to rent it before you buy it. You can complete the game on a bloody weekend anyways.

Thanks for the advice A.J.
    I've been watching that trend for some time now. Games becoming more high tech ( graphics and such )and very beautiful to watch and detailed. :think:
    But while the specs are getting higher the games are getting shorter. Maybe you can only cram so much data onto a dvd. I think they should consider having a second dvd for extra levels like they did with the early TR games ie: Tr1 and unfinished business.
    :thumbs: Now that would please everyone for sure.

• I don't think that the filesize is the problem, but rather the costs that go into a highly detailed game. It takes ages to make a game as detailed as Tomb Raider Underworld.

• Cost shouldn't be a factor, though. A game as publicized ( or should I say ' acclaimed ' ) as Tombraider will always sell by the millions. Plus all the sales of the older games which are still on the shelves here. So, money should not be a problem ! And since it's not financial, where else do we have to look? Perhaps it is the almighty ever present and cursed deadline. Which true to it's name so often kills a good game. :axe

• To say cost isn't a factor is silly; the Global Economy is in a recession. What is the use of producing a long game if noone has the money to buy it? The company would go bust instantaneously.

Underworld just does not feel like Tomb Raider.

I agree, based on TRL and TRA.

IMO, CD's Lara doesn't have the sarcasm and wit as she did in TR1. I do believe I have said before that in TRA, Larson belittled Lara and patronized her -where has our heroine gone?

Its a shame, given that one of the most recognisable characteristic traits of the British is our dry sense of humour and taking that away is almost like taking the accent away and replacing it with a different one.

• Cost to make the game and the cost to buy it are both factors. If you ask me, $60 for a video game is insane. I'd say that's insane to pay, but I buy games for that price as well, so I can't wave too many fingers here.

• When I said ' cost shouldn't be a factor ' I was referring to CD , because with the money they've made from ' Legend and Anniversary ' ( surely they did make some ) you would expect a game with a bit of substance.
    BTW, the price for TRU here is $69 AU. GTA4 however is a staggering $119 AU :think: .
    I am willing to pay $ 69 , but I would NEVER hand over $119 for a game. :stupid

• I agree, based on TRL and TRA.

IMO, CD's Lara doesn't have the sarcasm and wit as she did in TR1. I do believe I have said before that in TRA, Larson belittled Lara and patronized her -where has our heroine gone?

Its a shame, given that one of the most recognisable characteristic traits of the British is our dry sense of humour and taking that away is almost like taking the accent away and replacing it with a different one.

I agree, there, although I'd personally put the height of her 'cheekiness', so to speak, in Chronicles - as Zip tells us: "Oh, you're so sharp you're gonna cut yourself..." and "Whew! That girl has got one BAD attitude!" Crystal's Lara is certainly very meek and mild in comparison. Maybe it's the result of an overcompensation after the angrier Lara of AoD? Whatever the reason, I'm not fond of it.

• I do miss Lara's dry sense of humor from the original Tomb Raiders. I think it has to be definitely the most I miss from Lara's past.

• I preferred legends over AoD. :thumbsup AoD was just a little to dark for me. Not to mention the bugs ( kept the bug spray next to my PC )But bugs aside, except for the cemetery , where was the tombraiding in AoD ? :think: