• I’ve been finding the game a lot easier than the previous ones. TRU depends a lot less on trick moves (at least in the main gameplay) and has a much smoother plotline, rather than obviously disjoint authored levels by separate teams vaguely cobbled together at the end. I think the production levels are quite high and there is a lot of content, but the time taken to complete the game may be shorter than before. I prefer it that way. Padding with cheap maze-like levels or corny “combination lever” puzzles is poor show.

Also we are not forced to battle some boss creature every section, trapped in a little area with no ammo left, until we figure out some running around in circles trick or repeated side jump left then right whilst shooting. Or something.

Does anyone remember back in the classic engine days, there was a huge difference between the quality of some levels. Not just the design, but the texturing and attention to detail. I think I remember it being almost alternate in nature. One good level, then one bad level etc. those were the bad old days and it was obvious that they had a couple of really good level builders and the rest weren't so great.

• Does anyone remember back in the classic engine days, there was a huge difference between the quality of some levels. Not just the design, but the texturing and attention to detail.

Yes; compare the Lost Valley level and the Great Pyramid level in the original Tomb Raider, and you tell me the former isn't more detailed and textured, [hehe] .

TRU depends a lot less on trick moves

I dunno about that really. I seem to remember being really stumped nearly every time I used the chimney jump... And of course, the stupid wall run then jump off backwards thing in the room after the bridge puzzle. I fell in that water sooooo many times.

And I dunno about plotline, I loved the whole flashback idea at the beginning but beyond that it was more or less a case of get the other gauntlet, get the belt, get natla, and so on. I mean yes there was a plot there and it was slightly more distinct than in say, TR II, but there still wasn't much.

I do agree about the level of texture and graphic quality being consistent in TRU though, and it is certainly and improvement on the classics.

• Easier than Legend, sadly. Ironically enough, there was a poll on GameFaqs yesterday regarding game difficulties nowadays, and by vote and common knowledge, games nowadays are designed for more casual players - therefore they aren't as hard.

• They should put in a "Real Tomb Raider Mode" or something, where you can get extra puzzles and higher difficulty. And then this mode can only be activated with a code which only the hard core Tomb Raider fans (== we [hehe]) get! All the other "casual players" could look with big round eyes at the fantastic graphics, without any game play problems, and never know what they've missed. ;-) (Sadly thinks like this will probably never happen, but one can dream... This "player tailoring" was a step in that direction, but far too easy, still.)