Angel of Darkness Ending - I don't get it (SPOILERS)

• At the end, when Karel reveals himself to be a Nephilim, he turns into Kurtis Trent (among either people). After I kicked his arse, lara jumps down and picks up the Chirugai, where Karel 'died'. The Chirugai is supposed to be with Kurtis, who presumably is still in the pit with the boaz-spider-fly thingy corpse.

My question is, if Karel can take the form of Kurtis, and he's carrying his weapon, did 'Kurtis' ever actually exist? was it Karel all the time? And if Kurtis did exist, then who exactly was I playing in the Sanitarium and the Max Containment/Boaz returns levels?

I must admit, the storyline in this Tomb Raider blows the rest away - though it did rip off ShadowMan a bit with the shapeshifter thing.

• At the end, when Karel reveals himself to be a Nephilim, he turns into Kurtis Trent (among either people). After I kicked his arse, lara jumps down and picks up the Chirugai, where Karel 'died'. The Chirugai is supposed to be with Kurtis, who presumably is still in the pit with the boaz-spider-fly thingy corpse.

My question is, if Karel can take the form of Kurtis, and he's carrying his weapon, did 'Kurtis' ever actually exist? was it Karel all the time? And if Kurtis did exist, then who exactly was I playing in the Sanitarium and the Max Containment/Boaz returns levels?

I must admit, the storyline in this Tomb Raider blows the rest away - though it did rip off ShadowMan a bit with the shapeshifter thing.

• My guess is:

The cutscene we saw at the end was Lara returning to the arena where Kurtis was "killed". I guess he left his weapon as a sign... He must have dragged himself away into the "garage".

The part where Karel showed himself as Kurtis got me confused as well. But I thought: Maybe he was Kurtis when we saw him earlier, in the Cafe Metro or at the jetty behind the Pawnshop.... There must be a real Kurtis, the one we played. Why else would he be there, fighting Boaz...

• To be honest, I thought the ending for angel of darkness was one of the daftest endings yet for tomb raider, it didnt really explain much of anything, let alone whether Kurtis survived or not... :ouch: :ouch: :ouch:
    I sat there thinking "Is that it?" when the words started going up at the end.

• Well, from what I picked up, there were certain points where you may have seen or met Kurtis, when in fact, it wasn't really Kurtis. What I do know is, is that the Kurtis that you may think is dead is in fact the real deal. The fact that the Chiurigui is glowing signifies he's still alive.

Of course, Angel of Darkness has in fact only begun. This is the first of three chapters, meaning that you'll be clued up as to what is going on in AoD2 or TR7 if you prefer.

I thoroughly reccomend you play the game again at the end of the year to prepare for the next instalment.

• I agree with tombraidergirl. I've watched the end cutscene, and lara picks up the Chirugai from the area she got out of the Vault of Trophies - i.e., the area where kurtis kills boaz. So fair enough, although it should have been more clear. I think Karel was only trying to confuse lara at the end - for one thing, I'm not sure he was luddick either (yes lara, i've been helping you all along - I gave you a picture of the bad guy and a scorpion X, all you had to do was just kill a million bad guys, navigate some insane puzzles, jump loads of chasms and evade traps, contend with a bunch of undead Lux Veritatis - oh yeah, and kill an immortal).
    Or maybe he was'nt Bouchard. Sending an expensive assasin after lara is sure to guarantee that she'll get the painting. No, really......

I would imagine that Nephilim are wise, and thinking that trying to kill her and giving her a photo would help her get the painting wasn't very clever.

• I suppose thats right, perhaps it's to make Lara have no trust for anyone in the next game. But I have to say that it is a bit of a stupid notion, considering that Margot Carvier was also killed by the Monstrum. Continuity perhaps?

Anyways, all I know is, that we're going to have to wait and see what lies in wait for Lara.

• Tombraidergirl1......You said "why else would karel as Kurtis be fighting boaz......"

well, karel wanted to continue the work of his former leader.......so he would of killed boaz so that he could let lara kill etkarht ....(however ya spell his name) and then he could kill lara........i hope Kurtis was himself, makes it more fun knowing that :D

• But he wouldn't have to fight her, just helping Lara out of there would suffice. I don't think we ever played Karel. He could have helped Lara in another way, if it were him

• Here's my theory of the end:

Kurtis was seriously injured when he was stabbed by Boaz. However, he managed to get away but his chirugai slipped and he didn't notice. Then Karel pretended to be different people to try to confuse her and throw her off track if his plot went wrong. Then, Lara returned to the Boaz arena (which I believe we all, unfortunately, know very well) and found the chirugai but if Kurtis was dead, he would have been there, right?

But I could be ALL wrong! This is just how I see it.

• Hi :sun:
    No body of you noticed gundersen he was not there when karel and eckhardt died actually i noticed that after i finished the game and it came a bit clear to me. I think that gundersen took kurtis with him to be sure that he is dead. And the thing he has is connected with him the mind way right so maybe he left it to lara as a sign that he is a live our forgot it and when lara picked it up he knew it. ( the mind way).

this is only what i find as a good reason for myself :-D
    and it gets a bit exciting 8)
    bye :wave:

LARA ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :0)
    LARA: You might try to kill me
    Powell: I'm not going to kill you
    LARA: I said you try

Original von Kurtis99

Maybe he will be a main villain in AoD2/TR7...

That's right, after all we will need one if the story is going to be continued. Which I don't believe until I see it.

I am prepared to bet that we will never learn what happened to Kurtis, he will either be back and alright, or he will never appear again. Sounds a bit like the end of TRIV :wink:

• Hi :wave:
    think kurtis is going to be in the next game because i don't think they are going to use alot of time on one person and let him or her disappear
    like that and they did a lot of work to right.
    i think lara has to save him :-D from either gunderson our something alot bigger then karel and eckhardt. Maybe gunderson never worked for Eckhardt :-o . But for something more bigger and scary :-o
    and we have to kill it oh my god :o

• I got a corection :) for my last reply first line: i should have wrotten I think and not think bla bla bla..... okay that was that. Don't misunderstand me :cry: