Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII

• Lets make this clear; NO console bashing in this topic. Nada, none.

The FFXIII compilation has been in and out of gaming headlines since 2006, and I daresay it deserves its own topic here as it could be the saga of gaming which defines 2009. So far, we know that there will be three games in the XIII compilation, and there is allegedly a fourth in production:

Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, Xbox 360)
    Final Fantasy Agito XIII (PSP)
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PS3)

Despite the games sharing the same name and backdrop, they will be entirely independant of each other rahter than being sequels, where Xbox360 and PSP players would miss out. Each title will have its own style of gameplay: Final Fantasy XIII is an RPG, Final Fantasy Versus XIII is more action-oriented like Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy Agito XIII is an online game, having a battle style similar to Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. And although the development for each title is being handled within Square Enix through separate teams, the character designs for the three officially revealed games are by Tetsuya Nomura, who is also the director of Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

The Demos of Final Fantasy XIII and (?) FFXIII Versus will be playable on the Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete bluray disk in Japan towards the end of March, with the release in America and Europe rumoured to be around April 09.

The Trailers:
    FFXIII
    FFXIII Versus

There are a few more trailers and TV spots in circulation, however I'm too lazy to find them all [hehe] .

My comment?
    These games may be the defining reason why I will buy a PS3 -those games look mindblowingly brilliant.

• Hm, I don't mind such gorgeous games being released but it'll mean that I'll have to cough up €140 if I want both PS3 games [hehe]
    Looking forward to them all the same. Just not to the price.

• These Trailers look so amazing!!! It's about Time to buy a PS3!!!
    I can't stop looking at them, they're so wonderfull!!!

• Looking forward to them all the same. Just not to the price.

See I've got my parents wrapped around my little finger in regards to getting the games:
    We've reached an agreement that if I get a clean sweep of A*/As in my AS levels and my English Literature AS/A2 Level, they will combine my Birthday and Christmas with that and buy me a new TV, a PS3, those games and TRU. With any luck the price of the PS3 will plummet some time soon, so I may be able to get a PS3 earlier.

I can't decide on which game I will play first...the obvious choice would be XIII 'cause it is the main game but XIII Versus looks and sounds amazing -the tag line; "This is a Fantasy based on Reality" intrigues me greatly. It is supposed to be based on the Japanese Yakuza.

I wonder if it will knock VII off the top spot of my all time favourite FFs...

Speaking of which, Stella Nox Flueret looks strikingly similar to Aerith Gainsborough and Tifa Lockhart: Aerith's Face and Tifa's eyes:

...And this scan of Noctis is reminiscent of Zack Fair from Crisis Core:

...and here I thought Noctis was supposed to be a cross between Cloud Strife and Sephiroth.

• Zack Fair--my favorite FF character :D . I want to get Final Fantasy XIII so bad when it comes out!

• Oh I know, I absolutely hate SE for killing Zack, 'cause he was just so damn adorable -he just wanted to make a difference and he died in the process...I somewhat wish that it had been Cloud who had died. Zack's the hero in my books -Not Cloud as he was Zack's living legacy, therefore carried part of Zack with him when he 'killed' Sephiroth. Alas, VII wouldn't be the VII I love if Zack had not died.
    That and I don't think the potential crack pairing of Tifa x Zack would have had the magic it does because Zack is dead; Unfulfilled love being the most romantic since once love is aquired, the romance ends. Unfulfilled love exists only in the theoretical, it is not bound by the prospect of reality and so can be romantic.

Anyway, back on topic.

SE are being extremely tight lipped about the release, they've only said that any source other than themselves is unreliable. What would you say is the average length of time between the release of a demo of a game, and the release of the game? 'Cause a year is a pretty long time to wait if you go by some sources, which are suggesting that the European/American release of XIII could be as late as the 2nd quarter of 2010.

• I just watched the trailers! They look amazing :-o

What would you say is the average length of time between the release of a demo of a game, and the release of the game? 'Cause a year is a pretty long time to wait if you go by some sources, which are suggesting that the European/American release of XIII could be as late as the 2nd quarter of 2010.

Hm, everytime I've been playing new demos lately, the finished game was released only a few months later or even earlier. So the 2nd quarter of 2010 sounds a bit extreme to me.

• I suppose, although SE have shown a certain disregard to the conventional period of time between demos and release, and the period of time between the Japanese release and the NA/EU releases -take Final Fantasy Dissidia for example. Japan had that last year, and we're not getting it until September this year. Forgive me, but translation does not take that long.

Thats interesting...I wonder if the same will happen to Tomb Raider now Eidos has been bought, however I'm not sure about the market for Tomb Raider in Japan.

• I took the liberty of translating the Japanese subtitles in the trailer so you can actually have an idea of what Stella and Noctis are talking about. Read them while watching the video, I didn't include descriptions of their actions in my translation...
    It's a rough translation and there are some spots where I was uncertain, in which case I gave all possibilities of what they may be saying.
    Enjoy :-)

Btw:

Forgive me, but translation does not take that long.

Translating this bit made me realise that it does. Japanese is a language which differs greatly from all European languages and has ways of saying things that would be complete nonsense in our languages ("It is a monologue of this side" = "I'm talking to myself."). Also, all FF games I have played so far did not only have a good English audio track (and good synch), but also practically error-free German subtitles which is something of an achievement in my opinion (seeing how poor the German subtitles on some Simpsons episodes are - they leave out 20% of what is actually being said). I'd rather wait a bit longer than having a lousy translation/synchro, although I will be playing this game in Japanese if that is possible in Europe, as is the case with SoulCalibur 4.

• And I respect that, but the game has been in production since 2003, and I know that the script, translations and voice acting is done early on as I've friends in the game industry. When you take that into consideration, it is an extremely long time.

Thanks for the dialogue anyhow :D

• Update:
    That sentence which I didn't quite understand uses an obsolete verb form which looks a lot like the present-day negative. Apparently, it isn't a negative, though, and therefore the sentence means:
    "Those people... They receive power from the land of the dead."
    :D