Tomb Raider 9 News

• I also thought about "nostalgia" and that some great characters will most likely never come back...But the more I'm thinking about it, the more I understand, why Crystal had to change everything.
    If one of the older characters, let's say Zip was in the new game, people would most likely compare this game to the Crystal-trilogy, or would try to find some parallels - and I think that's exactly what Crystal didn't want for their new game.

By changing every single character and the story they are somehow creating a brand-new game with a well-known heroine, that still feels a lot more like a real TR than the whole trilogy (to me, at least). The most important aspects were kept [such as: puzzles, platforming, raiding tombs (even if the reason, WHY she's raiding tombs is a lot different this time)] but others were binned.
    Imo this game somehow feels fresh and nostalgic at the same time and thus both the old fans will be pleased and new ones will be attained (not sure if that's the right word in this context)

• Completely agree with what your saying. It's targetting both audiences, while making everything fresh from top to bottom. I'm loving the whole horror aspect of the game. It's going to put the franchise back on the map. No doubt. :)

• You're probably right. I guess I would be one of the very few who could live with the old characters in a totally new storyline, without comparing this and that. (Plus: Let's face it: Fans will compare, no matter what.) I would just hate it, if they took the same approach as the movies kind of did all over again. Give Lara a different butler, and introduce another tech assistant, because sooner or later they probably will add other friend-characters to her life.

I would be okay with calling the "new butler" Jeeves though. :D

• I would be okay with calling the "new butler" Jeeves though.

:rofl

I don't think there needs to be any other friends besides Roth. (and I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope that he's not going to be the villain in the end. That would be incredibly odd)
    He's her mentor and something like the "Von Croy" of the Reboot and thus he's both a person she learns a lot from and also a close friend.

• Oh come on, a lovely girl like Lara makes friends everywhere.

I agree with Roth probably being the von Croy replacement. And I think he is much more believable. I never liked von Croy much. He was a crappy uneven character most of the time.

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this new game her stranded on an island with a load of cannibals trying to eat her? I can't imagine there being any past characters in this one -if I'm right in what I've read-, it'll be just her and her good friend mr. knife. lol If I am wrong in what I've read, do enlighten me. :)

• No, you are right. I am trying to express my feelings towards the whole future that awaits Lara. (Or maybe... if there's a movie about how Lara came to be on the trip, that could show Winston for example.)

• Ahh, I see what your saying. Think it'll happen, though? I think they've just gone, "this title has become old and is lagging with the times, so let's strip this game from top to bottom and start a fresh". So I can imagine the only thing that has remaind the same is Lara's name, the Tomb Raider title and a few gameplay aspects. It has changed that much that my mate -a hater on the franchise- has actually gained an interest in the new game.

• It has changed that much that my mate -a hater on the franchise- has actually gained an interest in the new game.

That is so good to hear. I hope that more people (and there are a lot who just have silly reasons not to like TR) are going to be like him. We need more gamers who are exited about Tomb Raider.

• We've been waiting for this so long! :happyjump The first trailer will be revealed on the next Thursday, June 3rd. The article features two new screenshots, which can be talked about here. :D
    Source: Member.eu.square- enix.com

As soon as the trailer is out, it might be a good idea to make an own thread for it for discussion.

• YAY :D

Microsoft was holding their conference at E3 today and they were showing gameplay from the first level of the new TR. I watched the livestream of it, but there was no time to announce it here - I'm sorry.

However the good news is: It was literally amazing and I now really can't wait for you guys to see it 8o And that will definitely happen in the next few hours/days for sure, as E3 has just started :happyjump

EDIT: Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6T-nF6mfVw :-D

• I just love that gameplay video! :D It looks very realistic to me. I hope it won't be too scary when I'm playing it by myself (which will be a long wait)... Hopefully while waiting for the game itself to be released, more gameplay material would be revealed. And I can't wait for the demo (whenever will that be)! :blob

• In the end they were saying:
    We're excited to reveal more of our open environments, survival explorations and visual combat experiences as we leed out to launch in Fall 2012
    So I'm almost sure that lots of goodness will be revealed to help us pass the time :D

Even if I saw the gameplay now I'm also really looking forward to IGN's walk through the demo on wednesday (or very early morning of Thursday for us europeans). I think the reporters of IGN will actually take their time to explore some more things and not rush through the firstz day just to reach the outside within 5 minutes. [hehe]

• In the end they were saying:
    We're excited to reveal more of our open environments, survival explorations and visual combat experiences as we leed out to launch in Fall 2012

Sounds very, very, VERY good... :-) Reminds me of those videos that were released while waiting for TRU.

I think the reporters of IGN will actually take their time to explore some more things and not rush through the firstz day just to reach the outside within 5 minutes. [hehe]

They'd better do so, there were so many tiny details that I would totally go and explore. :happi Gah, why can't I be working for IGN and be there to see the demo?! :cry

• They'd better do so, there were so many tiny details that I would totally go and explore. :happi Gah, why can't I be working for IGN and be there to see the demo?! :cry

Muahaha - I was asking myself exactly the same, when I heard about the good news yesterday [hehe]

Sadly they have quite a tight Schedule (each 20 minutes a new game will be streamed so they might only have 10-15 minutes per game) but they could at least explore this altar a bit more.
    I can totally feel it: this week is better than christmas :presentm :D

• Sadly they have quite a tight Schedule (each 20 minutes a new game will be streamed so they might only have 10-15 minutes per game) but they could at least explore this altar a bit more.

If I was playing it, I'd stay as far from the altar as possible, felt so creepy! 8| I'd explore the area where the burning puzzle was! :-)

I can totally feel it: this week is better than christmas :presentm :D

I agree! :D First the trailer last week, now this. YAY! :happyjump

EDIT: In one E3 interview Karl Stewart confirmed that there wouldn't be swimming in the game. The interview was live, but I wonder if anyone got a chance to record it and upload it to, for example YouTube..? :chin

2nd EDIT: Gameinformer has an article about a new level, which was unveiled at E3. If someone wants to know as little as possible about the game, clicking the link might not be a good idea.
    The article can be read here.

• ^Yeah he did indeed confirm, that there would be no swimming - you can see it here http://www.dailymotion.com/vid…wart-sur-gt-tv_videogames
    I think it's not that bad - this way water will also be some kind of enemy :)

For those who are interested in the demo-walkthrough of IGN: http://www.youtube.com/user/IG…inment#p/u/48/dWHrkyaGKzo
    In my opinion it's a lot better, than the walkthrough from Microsoft, as the player isn't rushing through THAT fast. I also like that Karl Stewart is commenting on everything while the video runs :thumbsup