Lara Croft: The Debate

• Thats true, but the trend also occurs in women aged 20-40 also... I cannot verify this by personal experience as I have only witnessed such behaviour on programs such as Ladette To Lady [hehe]. There was one woman on there who was a 36 year old electrician and whose main hobbie was to spend a weeks wages on a friday night on alcohol 8| .

• Why is it such a taboo? Why the denial? This essentially proves what I said about Lara's breasts and sex appeal being a money maker, given that Alison was avoiding the question. She'd make a good politician [hehe] Nah, she is 'only' the face of Tomb Raider, it is the authorities that be who should be flamed.

• I'm really curious, i can't quite imagine how this female-friendly makeover would look like since the article didn't really say anything about that... smaller breast size, less reveiling clothes like the wetsuit in the Med? It has to be about the appearance, I guess, because there's nothing offensive about the gameplay ^^

• Well, I read a discussion on another forum, and people were talking about how they're changing the gameplay around even more, and they might think about changing where Tomb Raider's going to make more sales. If it becomes a first person shooter and becomes nothing like Tomb Raider should be, I won't be playing the games anymore.

• I agree, if I want to play a first-person shooter that's set in a tropical environment, then I go and play Crysis or whatever.

Funny: There are so many female fans of TR already, it really wouldn't make any sense at all to change major gameplay aspects now in order to make it "female friendly" :huh

• I totally agree with you red hell, TR should remain an action-adventure game. And her appearance, why would you want to change her again ? She looks more human-like then ever before. And to add destinations to the game that would appeal to the feminine side of the gender, where could we send Lara? :think:
    How about : New challenge. Find the original flask of Chanel No5 in " Harrods " store-rooms.
    Help " Trinny and Susannah " dress up Zip for dinner.
    I don't think so !
    I truly think that there is no obvious difference between the male and female players ( fans ).

• It does make me wonder how Lara can become [more] female friendly. I mean, what are they going to do, make her breasts smaller? Something that should've been done quite some time ago.

• I don't think much else can be done. Also, I think the results depend on what they think is "female-friendly"; also on what females they considered. I'll be incredibly pissed off if Lara starts carrying around a makeup kit and when her face gets dirty, she has to wash it and reapply her blush and lipstick.

:ouch:

• Good one. cat. :rofl
    Imagine her fury if she breaks a nail, ouch!!!!!!!!!!! :kiss
    Did you read the interview with Eric Lindstrom?
    According to this, all the talk about a female friendly Lara is just that, talk.
    And oh, btw it looks like he got the boot by CD. Hard to believe , isn't it ? I was positively shocked by the news of his departure. Let's hope they ( CD ) re-think their decision and put him back into the team. What do you say ? :S

• I heard that Lara might not be facing a "makeover" after all; reading an article (that I really need to find again) about it, I laughed when an Eidos employee said "How on Earth can Lara become any more female friendly than she already is? There's not much we can do...."

The man really did sound confused at the demand. I for one think it's aggravating - I want to know who decided to piss and moan about Lara needing to be more female friendly; I want to know what they want to happen to her.

As for Eric being fired, that wasn't Crystal's fault but Eidos'. Shame indeed; he was a brilliant man.

• "How on Earth can Lara become any more female friendly than she already is?

Well, that says it all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I too would like to know who on earth started THAT rumour. Then again, this person really gave us something to talk about, right ?
    The other rumour ( if indeed it is one ?! ) is the sequel to AOD. Eric didn't like AOD. Is that the reason why he got fired by Eidos ?
    :think:
    Interesting thought

• Well the whole Angel of Darkness bit is true. It was confirmed in a press release by Eidos that Angel of Darkness is part one of a trilogy, but I have my doubts that they'll continue it anytime soon, if at all.

I found this article over at GamaSutra, and it's rather interesting:

• Thanks for that, cat. A very interesting article indeed. But it just shows that there is no clear way of changing Lara.
    There is one way of doing this though, and that would be having a choice of character at the start-menu.
    Like do you want to play: female friendly Lara ? :love:
    play : original Lara ? :D
    But I don't think THAT would ever happen. :think:

• I'd make her breasts smaller, and that's it - well, that's all I think needs to be done. I mean, I'd just like to know their definition of 'female-friendly'.