Tomb Raider Underworld: General Discussion

• A new video has been posted on a foreign gaming site showing the first ten minutes of Tomb Raider Underworld - beginning at the Croft Manor prologue level and ending at the beginning of the Kraken encounter. A summary of the video is as follows.

The video can be found here.

Also, if you have fantastic vision like I'm surprisingly fortunate enough to have, you can read the text at the loading screen in the beginning of the video. It reads:

Previously on Tomb Raider: A compilation video showing key scenes from previous games can be found in the Main Menu. Select EXTRAS, and then select TRAILERS AND CREDITS, and then choose 'Previously...'.

Interesting indeed!

• Thanks for posting!

By the way, did anyone else notice how huge her hands look during the cutscene on her yacht?

• Yeah, looks almost like she's wearing goalkeeping gloves. :rofl
    Hey, only 4 weeks to go now :happyjump
    Release date in australia is the 27th of november. 9 days after the USof A. :cry

• Has anyone checked WikiRaider lately? There's a new confirmed outfit with a high resolution image of it. I'd like to announce that the winter outfit has made a return, and my is it looking better than ever.

Also, I've noticed something and figured it out. In the gameplay trailer, remember when Lara's walking what looks like to be in a circle, statues of figures sitting in chairs around her? They looked a bit like different versions of a stone dais? Well, I figured out that it takes place in Mexico. That's where you meet the giant spiders (and I mean giant).

So, the way I figure it (because maybe Lara wasn't referring to that place as the "place of fear", since you know how they edit things to make the advertisements better) is that you meet the giant spiders in Mexico and the "little" ones (that are the size of baseballs) in Thailand and Mexico. Not a big discovery, but I thought I'd point it out.

• Now that is so cool. I love this winter outfit, it looks amazing. :thumbs:
    So, the spiders are going to be BIG. Are you talking " Shelob " big ? ( as in the lord of the rings )
    I can just imagine the amount of ammo we have to use to down one of that size. :shoot:
    Thanks for pointing it out, since I didn't know about the arachnids. :thumbsup
    Talking about shoot-outs, is it true that there will be a self healing Lara? I've read somewhere ( can't remember the name of the mag ) that Lara will have the ability to heal herself over a period of time and that they will do away with the health packs. You know, that wouldn't be such a bad idea. No more chasing down health-packs............. :-) What are your thoughts on that one? :think:

• There will be a self healing Lara, at least sort of:
    From http://www.tombraider.com, Eric Lindstrom's blog "Health System Explained":

You arrive at each new location with full health and no health packs. Each location has health packs you can find -- ancient remedies still lying around (that your mother would never approve of you consuming) or first aid packs in the few places where people are nearby. If you get extremely hurt and don't use a health pack, however, Lara regenerates health slowly on her own till she reaches around 25%.

I like the winter outfit too. :-)

• Yes, Lara will regenerate her own health slowly, but only to an amount whereas she's barely surviving - health packs do the rest. More realistic that way if you ask me.

Regarding the arachnids, I've never seen the Lord of the Rings, (surprisingly enough), so I wouldn't know what you meant by that, [hehe] . However, the spiders require a little less than the tigers do, and from in game videos, you can see the tigers are pretty hardy.

• Regarding the arachnids, I've never seen the Lord of the Rings, (surprisingly enough), so I wouldn't know what you meant by that, [hehe] .

What, you've never seen the lord of the rings? :shock: Do yourself a favour and hire it. :thumbsup
    So we still have to hunt for health-packs. Ah well, but you are right of course we all have first aid kits at home why shouldn't Lara have them to. I actually would like to see Lara sticking on a band-aid onto a scratch after tackling one of the spiders. That'd be so funny. :rofl
    Don't you think ? But I really like the re-gen Lara. Helps if you run out of Hp's.
    And thanks for all the explaining on the self-healing Lara, Poet and Cat. :hug

• My concern is the tranquilizer gun - in some screens it's yellow, other's it's blue. I wish they'd settle on a bloody color...unless it turns blue when wet like Lara's binoculars and grapple in Legend.

• There is a tranquilizer gun ????????????????????????????????????????????? Wow...........
    But why does the colour concern you? Or do you refer to the health-bar?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean, sorry. :oops:

• I meant the color of the gun itself, like on Lara's back, but the demo answered my question. The tranquilizer gun is blue, the speargun is yellow.

• Thanks for clearing that up, :thumbs: . Now with the tranquilizer gun, since that isn't lethal we do have to catch something or someone alive, I suppose. Interesting indeed. Does the tran-gun ( spear-gun ) come as standard equipment or do we have to earn it ? :poke:

• Not sure, but every weapon except sticky grenades were available in the demo, but I think they come as standard equipment since the speargun is in the first level.

• Can't wait !!!!!!!!!
    Have you tried the tran-gun on some animals ? I'm gonna try to tranquilize some tiger. That'd be fun. ( that's if they don't get to me first ) [hehe]
    How long until the tranq kicks in ? Man I'm getting really excited. :sun:

• Thank you Cat. :hug
    I've been trying to download the demo, but it'll take ages. Might as well wait for the game proper to be released. :roll

• I'm not able to play the demo, just as predicted... but I had to try [hehe] However, I watched some YouTube vids and was pretty excited afterwards. The only thing that I found funny was the way Lara moves while climbing. She stretches her legs in a weird way like a spider or something when going to the side, in my opinion.

• Yeah, I noticed that too. I don't see it as much as a big deal, but it could have been improved. I know they did motion capture, but I don't think climbing like that is even physically possible. However, I did notice, (and I'm saying this in an non-perverted manner for the sake of my concern for sexism in the games), but how realistic is it when Lara unholsters her dual pistols and take aim, her rear end "tightens" in her stance?

I find that incredibly realistic. That, and the fact that when she jumps from a stairwell or some sort and keeps running, she stumbles a little. Marvelous!

• It takes a few seconds for them to knock out, but they wake up about a minute later.

Cool,
    after you knocked them out you can just pull out your twins and finish them off, right? :rofl
    I actually find she looks sort of cute when she climbs. But I haven't noticed the bit with her bum. Something to look out for? Cat? ;-)