Sunglasses Mandatory in Australian School

• OMFG :-o Having to wear sunglasses?? How the f@ck does that fit into human rights and stuff? I mean, sunglasses DO decrease the quality of vision, right, and anything that decreases any life qualities mustn't be compulsory in my opinion. Why the hell doesn't amnesty international do anything??????!!!

• Ludicrous indeed.

But as the article states, only some students have to wear them. True, it can obscure one's vision. I don't like the idea, but it'd be fine if I had to deal with it.

Why? Well, I wear glasses already (no, I'm not geeky looking)...very fashionable glasses too, [hehe], but anyhow, they have built in transitions, which turn to sunglasses while keeping the glasses' prescription intact, when they come in contact with sheer light.

Very convienient. But I agree, the issue in Australia seems over-the-top.

• Maybe, before you shout out like that, you should get the facts straight. The Australian sun is very intense and it is for their own health. It's rediculous to talk about "human rights" in this context.

• Good point, tombraidergirl. But as true as that may be, why make sunglasses mandatory now, when the sun has been around all these centuries?

I mean, yes it's a good idea, but why now? Why not before? Why even make it mandatory? If someone wants to be an idiot and die in the heat with health loss, then go ahead. But still, they probably want to prevent that, whether or not they want to die.

As I said, why not before? I'm sure lots of people have or were close to dying. And what, they have to wait until it reaches a certain limit when the realize it would be safer with everyone wearing sunglasses?

But yes, TRG that's a fantastic point. But not only sunglasses should be worn. Hats and a good amount of sun-tan lotion aswell. And not just in Australia, in other highly heated parts of the world, such as Africa.

Original von tombraidergirl
    Maybe, before you shout out like that, you should get the facts straight. The Australian sun is very intense and it is for their own health. It's rediculous to talk about "human rights" in this context.

It's their own choice if they wanna spoil their eyes with UV or not. It's their right to take a risk.

• As I said, MOD, but TRG is right. People want to prevent the deaths of civilians, not allow them to kill themselves. Why? I don't know.... :flare.

• I think that is a good idea. The children only have to wear them outside while playing. It could protect their eyes from the UV rays, which are worse in AUS (due to the hole in the ozone layer), and it shows some people are actually thinking about the kids, rather than saying 'Tough.'
    I guess little kids don't really know the dangers of UV, so rather let them have the choice once they know what the situation is, and keep them safer before they do.
    But, I guess it's a lesser of two evils: less optical capacity from the sun or from UV rays...