General Rise of the Tomb Raider Discussion

• Hey everyone, I thought, I should create this thread for general discussion.

Let me start with some facts:

We know the game is produced for Xbox One exclusively and an Xbox 360 port is currently also being made.
    The game will be released during the holiday season 2015.
    Lara will visit Siberia.
    An organization called Trinity (hinted at in the previous game) will try to make her life difficult.

You can find all collected information on our partner site, WikiRaider:
    http://www.wikiraider.com/index.php/Rise_of_the_Tomb_Raider

Find trailers and such in the following playlist on our youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/playli…RMpegWgUzZwHI9ZJmiwP0QaDH

There are several folders containing Rise images in our galleries:
    General images: http://www.forum.tombraidergir…lbumID=174#profileContent
    Concept Art: http://www.forum.tombraidergir…lbumID=165#profileContent
    Screenshots: http://www.forum.tombraidergir…lbumID=169#profileContent
    Feel free to explore the galleries to discover more folders with Rise content.
    http://www.forum.tombraidergir…?page=UserGalleryOverview

• Hello, :wave2

Just read about the Microtransactions in Rise of the Tomb Raider and I'm a bit confused, really. ?(

I don't really understand the concept of those Expedition Cards, perhaps I'm just having a bit of trouble translating that article in my head... Are the credits used to buy the Expedition Cards earned similarly like gaining XP or what? And are those cards replacing skills and weapon upgrades..?

Oh, and in that article there's a tiny bit of info about the multiplayer mode and the game's release on other platforms - not sure if they're new info or not... ;-)

• Maybe my article on the mode will help clarifying it:

http://blog.tombraidergirl.com…b-raider-other-game-modes

I think these cards do not replace XP, as these only concern the special game modes, not the regular game in which you will be able to customize at camps, just like in the previous game.

Edit:
    I've now also written an article on the Season Pass and the Expedition Cards:
    http://blog.tombraidergirl.com…e-tomb-raider-season-pass

• Thank you for the links, those did help clarifying the concept of the Expedition Cards. :thumbsup I'm still a bit confused about those new and special game modes and why exactly are they in the game... ?(

But as long as there is the regular game, I'm happy... :-) I personally don't really care for other stuff than the normal gameplay.

There's still plenty of time to wait for the PC release in "early 2016", so I guess I'll just wait to see what's the game really like. :-)

• These are basically replay modes. They are easy to implement and add to the replay value. The concept sounds interesting, I am just a little afraid that you have to be "online" to share custom missions; the Xbox is my secondary console and paying two online services is a bit much.

And I am still not sure if "Cold Darkness Awakened" is online co-op or single player (or possibly split screen co-op :love ).

combat waves of infected predators in Cold Darkness Awakened

I'll probably write a few more blog entries about these modes once the game is out.

• Hello there! :wave2

Waaah, RoTR looks so cool - I can hardly wait until it's released on PC! :cry I'm totally spoiling myself by reading walkthroughs and watching videos on Youtube. :shy:

...And I bet the game is actually as awesome as it looks and seems! ;-)

In order to ease my eagerness to play RoTR at least a tiny bit, I've gotten myself the mobile games Relic Run and Lara Croft Go. They're quite nice and fun actually, a nice way to spend time waiting for the PC RoTR. :-)

I'm a bit worried whether my laptop will be able to run RoTR... :chin The last game, TOMB RAIDER, runs alright - but ToO is quite laggy... :S

• I guess the system requirements for Rise on PC will be a bit higher than for the 2013 reboot. That was one of the reasons we decided to get a Xbox One, my old PC will most probably not be fast enough.

The new game is really, really good! I do hope that the sales will pick up a bit - especially when it is released for the other platforms - so we can get another game in two or three years. ;-)

As for Relic Run and Go, I think those are the best mobile games I played in a long while, especially LC Go. Relic Run does not run that well on my three years old phone, but on the big Samsung tablet it's great. And Go is just amazing! I can't wait to see if they will release another level in the future!

• The game looks so awesome, it will definitely demand a lot from my poor laptop. :S I won't get the Xbox One though, I hardly can think of any other games that I'd play on it... I guess I'll have to wait for more info about the system requirements, and think about buying a new laptop or more efficient parts for my current one. :chin

Hmmm... Perhaps releasing RoTR on other platforms could be a good time for another TR-hype, or at least trying to create one...? [hehe] I haven't been following much on what's going on in the game-releasing schedules, if there'd be some tough competition in "early 2016".

LC Go was a really nice surprise, a whole new world and a great game for the little gray cells. :D Both LC Go and Relic Run are a good way to pass time even in the evenings because they're not scary at all. [hehe] :shy:
    Both of them run super smoothly on my very first smartphone, which I got relatively late compared to the "rest of the world" - in last June. :shy: I'm hoping for more LC Go leves in the future too! :-)

Is RoTR scary? Or otherwise very "atmospheric"? :-)

• Weeell, I don't know about scary but there are definitely some moments in there that are, let's say, surprising.

But I think 2013 was scarier. This one is more, like, Lara has grown up a bit and does not scare as easily as she did. Atmospheric on the other hand it is: Dark caves and tombs, deep snow in the mountains, a lot of environment to interact with...

• Played a bit of the 2013 Tomb Raider, and wow, I can't believe I have managed to complete it. :weird It's quite scary: piles of corpses, blood, more piles of corpses. :-o Geothermal Caverns is one of the most horrible locations in the 2013 game... :dead

But I also watched some walktroughs of RoTR on Youtube, and I must say it indeed is atmospheric and not as scary as 2013 TR. There seems to be quite much to do and interact and the areas are so large... I must say I'm in love with RoTR. :love RoTR seems to have more of an adventurous feel to it, TR 2013 was more about survival horror... :-)

• Sorry for replying to my own post with these big news! :shy: :happyjump

But Rise of the Tomb Raider has appeared to Steam, and the Steam's page says the game will be available in "January 2016". Some googling revealed me some rumours about the exact date being January 26th, but those shall be just rumours.

I'm so happy and excited right now! :happyjump

But at the same time I'm also a bit worried about the system requirements and also about how the many interactions with the in-game world have been turned into keyboard controls. Will everything be done by smashing E/Interact button? Like, everything:

Oh, by the way! Does RoTR have those QTE's/Interactive cutscenes with commands like "smash E to survive!" and to succeed you also have to have the right timing?
    Because I'm not really fond of those, I kept dying again like 10 times in TR (2013) when in the wolf's den retrieving Roth's pack or whatever the objective was... :weird I hope RoTR doesn't have those! :dead

• That's interesting news! I hope that the PC version is coming soon so that more gamers can actually play this game! In my opinion there are far too few people playing it, it is by far the best Tomb Raider for a long time and I hope that the will do another sequel if the sales are good...

As for interactive sequences, there are some scenes in the game where you have to push some button to survive, but it is mostly during the learning phase in the beginning. Like, "press X now to use the axe or else you will fall down the mountain!" It is not as bad as it was in 2013. ;-)

• That's interesting news! I hope that the PC version is coming soon so that more gamers can actually play this game! In my opinion there are far too few people playing it, it is by far the best Tomb Raider for a long time and I hope that the will do another sequel if the sales are good...

I hope for a PC release soon, too - and a sequel. I think it's a bit weird that there apparently hasn't been any official announcement for example in the Official Tomb Raider blog or any news on the system requirements.

I've tried to google how RoTR's sales have been, but I'm a bit puzzled. It seems that it has sold at least okay-ish? But I bet the Xbox-exclusiveness has definitely hurt its sales... :S

Perhaps it's too early to tell wishes for a sequel, but I really hope that the rebooted series could continue and there'd be another sequel. After replaying TR (2013) and looking some RoTR playthroughs, I'm starting to feel that everything falls apart around Lara way too often! Like, in TR (2013) there are way too many occasions of running and jumping through a linear pathway with collapsing/exploding surroundings - it's getting quite repetitive. Also, the setting of Lara being stranded in the wilderness and having to build shelter and get gear is alright on two games. But if the very same setting is yet again in a possible seque for the third timel, meh, been there, done that...

So, perhaps in the next possible sequel there should be more solid environments for exploring and not everyhing has to collapse. And maybe Lara's adventure shouldn't have to have such a disastrous start with her yet again being in the wilderness, her gear being lost in some natural disaster. Just adventruing well-equipped right from the start. :-)

I'd like for a desert-setting, because

Here are some of my other wishes as a list, in no particular order:

• a "modern", different type of setting, like the Louvre in AoD or VCI in Chronicles
    • vehicle or horse-riding (other type of transport), the more lenghty motorcycle rides in Legend were nice
    • scuba diving setting, exploring nice underwater places without the fear of running out of oxygen
    • a genuine option to choose a strategy against enemies: no "forced" choices for straightforward attacking or being stealthy (or at least more opportunities to genuinely choose how to approach)
    • no exessive gore, like the whole Geothermal Caverns section in TR (2013) :dead

As for interactive sequences, there are some scenes in the game where you have to push some button to survive, but it is mostly during the learning phase in the beginning. Like, "press X now to use the axe or else you will fall down the mountain!" It is not as bad as it was in 2013. ;-)

Oh, sounds alright! :-) I've had a few rage-quit moments with TR (2013) scenes... :shy:

• Hello, and sorry for replying to my own post! :wave2

So, I was so eager to play the new RoTR that I pre-purchased the standard edition on Steam. Full of excitement, I started to play the long-waited game on the 28th of January.

I switched all the graphics and display settings to the lowest ones, as I knew the game would probably be too much for my poor laptop. I even turned off my bigger screen, and played the game on my laptop's screen. After some more settings tweaking, I managed to get the game to run fairly smoothly, with the amazing resolution of 800x600. [hehe] Despite all that, the first moments of the game were really enjoyable. I was on an actual adventure! :D Carefully looking for coin caches, learning new actions, hunting and looking for materials for crafting...

But unfortunately my joy and excitement didn't last long.

After that I quit the game, as I have also other stuff to do than play all day. Before starting to play RoTR again, I got some advice to update my display drivers - perhaps that would help the game to run more smoothly.

Not being the most "nerdy" I do so, and update my AMD and Intel drivers. Then I encounter a horrible technical issue: RoTR will not start when I click "Play" on its launch menu! :cry

I've been trying to solve the issue with the most common advice found on the world wide web without any success. These include the following:

• re-dowloading the game on Steam
    • verifying the game's Steam files
    • creating another Windows user account and running the game with it
    • running vcredist_x64.exe

I've even re-installed the display drivers. Currently I'm waiting some e-mail from Square Enix's Technical Support... There are recommendations for installing AMD driver 16.1.1 "which should be released shortly". (found for example on Square Enix's Tech Support forum) But that driver hasn't even been released yet... And I doubt my issue is due to display drivers, as I have managed to play the game for a while.

My first impressions of RoTR are limited to four amazing hours of playing it. I hope there'd be a solution or a patch soon... :(