Gaming Small Talk

• I, too, am currently enjoying the game Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Worth buying! I already spent more time on it than it took me to complete Uncharted, and I'm not at all far in the game :D

• Project Gotham Racing 4 again. After watching a bit of the movie Torque, I'm possessed to race around in a motorcycle wildly, [hehe] .

• Army of Two, oh God I want to have a try at that. I went to Blockbuster to see if they had it, which they did: one copy and it was out of stock, :roll . So I went to Hollywood Video, and of course they had eight of them but they were all out of stock. So I ended up renting Bully: Scholarship Edition for Xbox 360.

God, I hate people.

• Really? So would you say it's nothing to get worked up about trying? I mean, is it actually worth playing?

• I've been playing The Lord of the Rings Online: The Shadows of Angmar. Best game ever! :P

Before that, I played The Sims 2: free Time, Star Wars: Battlefront II on PC (yep, we have it on PC and PS2 and they're both mine :rolleyes: ) and I was considering playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I and II.

I also really wanna buy Assassin's Creed but on XboX but I'm only getting an XboX for my birthday.......if my mom keeps her promise.

• I wish I could play the Sims 2 again. I have a few of the expansion packs and stuff packs, but alas. Having a laptop isn't the best option for a Sims lover. It runs way too slowly for my cup of tea.

However, today I rented Army of Two for Xbox 360 and I was blown away. It was well worth the wait and I rented it today, the last copy (God thank you) and I am utterly speechless. It's an amazing game!

Assassin's Creed is amazing as well, but once you beat it, there's not much to do but go back into the Animus and go back to 1191 and do bonus stuff, replay assassinations, and collect flags and kill Templars. However, the ending had me with my jaw dropped for days. Thank God it's the first game in a trilogy or else I'd die without a sequel.

• I rented Army of Two on the 360 on Thursday and beat it last night. It was amazing! I wrote a review for GameFaqs, and here it is:

Army of Two, recently released on March 6 in the United States, is a new game that introduces a fantastic plot, two amazing lead characters, and memorable game play. In Army of Two, you first start at a selection screen, choosing to play as one of two characters: Tyson Rios or Elliot Salem, in which both protagonists are active in game as your partner, the opposite of whoever you choose.

The game begins in 1993 in Somalia when Elliot Salem and Tyson Rios are still in the U.S. 75th Ranger Regiment, where they are tasked to work with Phillip Clyde of Security and Strategy Corporation (SSC) to assassinate Abdullahi Mo'Alim. After this mission, Philip Clyde, on behalf of SSC CEO Ernest Stockwell, invites Lieutenant Colonel Richard Dalton (commander of the 75th Ranger Regiment) to join the company for a desk job. He agrees, asking to bring Salem and Rios with him as contractors, and, the following year, the three enter the private sector. Later on, you're sent on a new mission, which is believed to be present day 2003.

The original character of Phillip Clyde foreshadows him as perhaps being the lead antagonist in the story, what with his narcissistic behaviour, inappropriate sarcasm and belittlement, and of course, showing off.

Later on in the game, by completing the assignments for SSC (which are all somewhat related in idea), a shocking twist occurs leaving you with your mouth dropped and hell to pay.

The game play itself is the best I've seen so far. It's somewhat like Gears of War, but a lot better than that. It's related to Gears of War because of the control mechanisms, the sliding and hiding behind cover, blind firing, and all of that. However, as I said, it's way better than Gears of War by a stretch. In Army of Two, you have the ability to go Back-To-Back when you're outnumbered, in which you do the obvious with your partner and kill the enemies surrounding you
    During game play, more or less in between mission "breaks" where fire fights die down, and before any major ones begin, you have the option to do mid-mission shopping for Primary, Secondary, Special Weapons, and Gear using the money you earned by completing contracts and completing bonus objectives.

All of the weapons in the game are customizable, such as barrels, extended magazines, front mounts, suppressors, shields, grips, attachments, and the option to "pimp out" it's appearance for $10,000 per weapon. Also, secondary weaponry isn't just handguns. There's also Micro Uzis, P90s, and MP7s. The Special weapons categorize as sniper rifles, RPGs, and heat seekers. Like I said, all of the weapons are customizable.

The PAI (Partner Artificial Intelligence, which is Rios if you play as Salem, and Salem if you play as Rios) is very interesting and helpful. Of course, with AI, there's flaws, such as not battling strategically when necessary, but that's okay. You can't expect it to do all of the work for you. Do you part in partnership and you'll get through the game. On the opposing side, the AI of the game is mildly challenging. You'll find that they are indeed smart, and if you don't pay attention, they'll flank you before you even realize what's going on. On top of that, they get more challenging as the levels go on - so I recommend starting at the Novice level before advancing to Contractor, and then Professional (after beating the game on either latter difficulties).

The musical score for Army of Two was, nay is indeed amazing as well. While in fierce battle, the music intensifies and while your enemies are down for the count, it lightens up.

There is multiplayer involved as well: Co-Op, Splitscreen, and Xbox Live. All of which are incredible to play, and the Xbox Live is just like campaign mode, which also requires good teamwork, strategic thinking, and a good eye for any windows of opportunity to outflank your enemies. Also, the achievements in Army of Two are interesting, and very fun to earn.

The general game play of Army of Two seemed short, but the replay value is worth it. You can go back and redo missions to earn more money and unlock and upgrade the rest of the guns. Once you first beat the game, all of the primary weapons are unlocked, so all you have to do (if you wish) is upgrade those, purchase the others, and upgrade them. Or, if you're feeling up to it, you may play the game on Professional difficulty and unlock all of the remaining weapons once you beat the game on that difficulty setting.

All in all, Army of Two is definitely one of the year's best games for the Xbox 360 and PS3, and I definitely recommend giving it a try. If you love it enough, then feel free to buy it, but if you're not a big fan of games like this, I still recommend trying it, but just rent it first. Either way, Army of Two is undeniably an amazing game.

• SyphonFilter: Dark Mirror
    Genre: Action/spy - 16(LV) or All ages - 1 player - Third Person - PS2
    Main playable character: Gabe Logan (M)
    Secondary playable Character: Lian Xing (F)

Good game, with some clever ideas. Many gadgets and different ways to play the same mission. Bonuses unlocked by finding 'hidden evidence' or achieving badges. Bonuses include extra guns, extra levels and behind-the-scenes extras.
    The game was a little too easy though. I finished it within 24 hrs ( :P ) but still immensely playable.
    Now to get those bonuses...

• I saw that at either the game store or rental store I can't quite remember. Tomb Raider: Legend (X360) for me. That game never gets old, [hehe] !

• I just beat Splinter Cell: Double Agent on the 360 last night. Very good game indeed, I definitely recommend it. I might try Guitar Hero 3.

• I played LOTRo again but I am attempting to play Star Wars Galaxies, if only those stupid updates would finish downloading.

Its 8pm now and it says the downloads will finish in 4 hours, basically midnight. That really sucks. :cry

• Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

More like Wallet in Flames. Thank God I rented this before buying - it was the worst sequel I've ever played. That's a good $8.49 down the drain for the rental. I could have rented something I knew I'd have enjoyed. But that's why you rent before buying, especially with the trade-in rates nowadays being so abysmal, I'm afraid to buy new games unless I know I'll be satisfied with them, like Tomb Raider Underworld or Quantum of Solace - I'm still a tad shaky on Mirror's Edge.

Anyway, this game was indeed terrible. Shame on Pandemic for giving the sequel rights to EA over LucasArts. I mean, Lord, how stupid can you be? For one, LucasArts did a fantastic job on the first game (in which I'd love to see it on the next-gen consoles) and with the sequel, I expected that, plus more. I didn't even get the former.

Going back to being stupid, honestly - EA just lost the licensing rights to James Bond games because they sucked so bad with From Russia with Love. Not the smartest thing to do, hiring a game company that just lost an infamous franchise because their last game was terrible. If I was the head of Pandemic, EA wouldn't even be considered.

I wouldn't be surprised if EA stood for Extravagant Aggravators.

This game was way too hard, for your character would die WAY too easily, and the A.I wasn't even intelligent. It was like nine year olds trying to act sophisticated after seeing a James Bond movie. No. Fail. Epic fail.

UGH! I can't believe how rubbish this sequel was after the original was so fantastic! Now every time I hear the word 'Mercenaries', I'll shudder in disgust.