General Rise of the Tomb Raider Discussion

• Oh, sorry to hear that. The game is really heavy on the system requirements. I've been playing on my (very) old PC and it is great until I reach the Soviet Installation or the Geothermal Valley (another big hub level), then the framerate drops to almost unplayable...

I'm actually waiting for newer Radeon drivers, too. The most recent seem to be "16.1 Hotfix", which I aleady have installed. I'm hoping that newer drivers will be more optimized for RotTR, but I fear that my poblems are more due to the old CPU I have...

Ah, well, at least I can play, even if it's just in a tiny window sometimes... I know it can be really frustrating if nothing works at all...

• Oh, sorry to hear that. The game is really heavy on the system requirements. I've been playing on my (very) old PC and it is great until I reach the Soviet Installation or the Geothermal Valley (another big hub level), then the framerate drops to almost unplayable...

I'm actually waiting for newer Radeon drivers, too. The most recent seem to be "16.1 Hotfix", which I aleady have installed. I'm hoping that newer drivers will be more optimized for RotTR, but I fear that my poblems are more due to the old CPU I have...

Ah, well, at least I can play, even if it's just in a tiny window sometimes... I know it can be really frustrating if nothing works at all...

Don't be silly. It's not the Radeon, it's the rest of your PC. :o) MY graphics card is by far the newest item in it. :P

• Hooray! :D I found a way tp play RoTR at least somehow. :happyjump

My sister's laptop with Nvidia drivers runs the game - with the lowest graphic settings, but it runs. There still are some laggy bits, but I've managed to play the game quite a lot. I haven't been able to update my own laptop's drivers correctly and I'm not nerdy enough to understand why...

My some of thoughts so far:

• Hello again! :wave2

So, I managed to complete RoTR - even though at times it felt impossible. [hehe] :shy:

I must say the game is quite awesome, and completing it left a nice feeling of eagerness towards the possible upcoming games and adventures. :thumbsup However, I do feel that 100% completion might be too much for me to achieve. [hehe] The vast surroundings with all the hidden caches, relics and documents... Not to even mention the challenges!

The hidden optional tombs were quite nice and there was a nice number of them. Sometimes I needed some advice from walkthroughs on how to complete them, but there were nice puzzles and completing the tombs was always a great reward. :-)

I'm not sure about how I feel about the new version of skills, weapons and equipment crafting. I liked how the new weapon replaced the old one in TR (2013) - not "too much" to upgrade then. There are quite a lot of skills to upgrade and equipment too. It was sort of good that the more advanced equipment and weapons upgrades required new tools to be obtained first. But then, sometimes it felt quite annoying. Also, despite having done equipment upgrades, I still felt like Lara isn't able to collect as much resources as I'd like - pockets were always full of something. :D

I wish there were news on another new TR game already... :love

• Wow, so much DLC and other cool things have appeared since I last checked. Baba Yaga, Blood Ties, 20 years celebration etc. :D

Too bad my laggy laptop doesn't really increase my excitement. :S I haven't even played RoTR since my very first playthrough since the game lags so much even with the lowest graphics settings... The smaller environments are alright, but don't get me started with the Soviet Installation.
    I'd like to explore the eerie-looking Croft Manor in Blood Ties, but then again, my dear and poor laptop... :-( I must watch some playthroughs then on YouTube and let others have the fun...

• I haven't even purchased Blood Ties yet, because I was a bit sad with my laptop's poor-ish performance with RoTR. But now I'll re-consider buying Blood Ties - thanks for the info! :thumbsup Let's hope for the best that my laptop would manage to run Blood Ties with less issues than with RoTR. :-)

And I will defnitely not play the zombie mode! :rofl Basic RoTR was enough to give me the creeps every now and then. [hehe]

• After a month I managed to find the time to play the Blood Ties DLC. Better late than never! ;-)

The DLC ran quite smoothly despite my doubts, my trusty lappy had enough power to run the game. Even with low graphics settings I did manage to enjoy the eerie athmosphere and also find the necessary pick ups. The game did not need zombies to be scary! [hehe]
    Providing more background information to reboot-Lara and her family was a nice addition and there were quite many "hints" to earlier TR games, which felt like a good gesture towards long-time fans. I also liked the way the Croft Manor was presented, it felt familiar but there also were completely "new" places.

I did have to take a look at a walktrough to be able to complete the DLC, I didn't pay enough attention to all the clues and items to be able to solve the puzzles myself! :rofl I just kept going back and forth around the manor and just taking a look at every possible corner. :shy:

I'm seriously thinking about being brave enough to play the Lara's Nightmare DLC... I hope there'd be the twin pistols with unlimited ammo and medipacks scattered everywhere. [hehe] With those I might be able to complete it! :shy:

Wandering around the "reboot-mansion" left me with a very positive feeling and I also got a tiny bit of an idea out of it. It would be so cool if some day there was a new TR game with these excellent graphics and athmosphere where we got to play through a home invasion type of scenario! :D :rope: :training:
    Like in the style of the first TR movie and TRII... :chin

• I still haven't played Lara's Nightmare. tombraidergirl's been hugging the console with FFXV. (Not that I've had had the time to play Tomb Raider.) And now I've been playing some Lara Croft GO since it has been released for the PlayStation...

Personally I liked the Manor the best of all the DLCs. They saved the best for last! ;-)

• Hi Everyone,

I just finished ROTR on the PC. Yes, i know everyone else played this over a year ago, but it has been mysteriously expensive on the PC for months. Only over xmas did they drop it to a reasonable price.

Good game, but i found 2013 more emotionally gripping and scarier. I'm glad they didn't have a boss fight though.

I'm wondering if ive missed anything in my playthough; side missions etc. I played the witch thing. What about secret undocumented places. Surely there's some in the Manor - has to be! (like a secret bike track or something).

It's a bit quiet here. anyone know of a walkthrough or similar.

thanks and

happy raiding!