3rd Level: Japan (Takamoto)

• I'm really bored now - whatever works for other people doesn't work for me, maybe coz I find the cameras working against me all the time.

Did anyone find the above bug on a PS2? Are there any ways of bypassing this stage on a PS2?

Otherwise my only hope will be to find some bone idle teenager with the time and patience to keep on trying. I was looking forward to this game, have enjoyed most of it but the battle in this scene that I've had with the camera, running, jumping, ducking and firing has been tedious enough to put me off the whole thing altogether!

Can anyone give me hope!?!

• i can try. think of him as ur worst emeny an dont stop shootin! jump, flip,jump,flip,jump, flip,jump,flip,jump, flip,jump,flip,jump, flip,jump,flip.etc. when u fail an get :mad: dont throw the controler at the screen. just do something relaxin 4 sometime then return 2 the game wit a fresh mind.

• try locking ur camera to him! that will give u a way to escape his hits by jumping or crowling!
    use the masine gun for the first hits! i lowered almost 5/6ths from his power and then use tha pistols to kill him
    try not going to close cause he uses a differebt kind of hit that is vertical and causes more dmg than other hits!
    I hope i helped

• Ok, so I've been through several interesting thread on this fantastic forum concerning defeating the Japan BOSS. I've tried most of the suggested metods for taking this *&^%$ out but I'm still hopelessly short of success. So.....I see a suggestion to back the difficulty off to Easy (I'm playing on Medium) and decide that I can live with that. To my horror though I am unable to find an option to revert to easy :stupid:

I've seen a couple posts that say it's possible but I'm afraid that it isn't on my platform (original Xbox).

Am I missing it or is it just not there. If I can't get by this guy I might as well mothball the game :no:

Thanks for any help!!

\\Mongoose

• normally you would have to go back to a previous level (old savegame) and then when you finish the level set down difficulty for the next level. I think you cannot do it while playing this level.

But Takamoto can be beaten on medium.

What helps is jumping around. Using the rifle (you hopefully did take it from the guys you met before coming to Takamoto), when you are out, use pistols. And jump around a lot. Also try to lock on to him and hold it. When using pistols, I tried to stay close to him, but not too close. Just don't take your fingers from the lock-on button and the shoot button. and jump jump jump (sideways works best, rolling and jumping over the attacks might also work with a little luck)

• Well, Since I'm not to proud to admit it, I went back to the top with a new game (easy mode) and played it right through (2 b-room breaks) to the Japan BOSS. I entered the 'ring' for a final schwing (groooan) and took the $&%*$^'er out on the first try. Didn't even need to use a medipac. I felt a bit cheap doing it that way but it was just too frustrating to keep coming up short playing it on Med (I can't imagine hard).

TRG is dead on when she says that you can't convert your difficulty level prior to completing the level. If you replay a level you have completed you can select the difficulty but you can't switch modes in the middle of an unfinished level (at least you can't on Xbox 1). You've either got to start over on easy or Man-Up and get it done...

Anyway, I'm just happy to have TR back in my game line-up. I haven't played since TR4 on PS1 so a port to the Xbox was magic!! I missed this game..

\\Mongoose

• Hello, I'm a complete rookie and am getting very frustrated/annoyed with trying to kill takamoto - it's taking me hours. Have tried jumping, ducking, flipping, rifles and pistols and he still won't die - any tips and tricks please?

• Jump, duck, flip and especially shoot some more. (Sorry, but there is not much one can say that hasn't been said already.)

Basically you can use the rifle to get him when he's on the other side. Use the pistols when you get closer.

I assume you have climbed up to him, because it will be a lot more difficult to get him from below.

Are you playing on hard? He might be too much to take on on hard on your first round. (difficulty setting affect him)

If you really can't do it, there is always the possibility to upload your savegame (as zip or rar) and someone else (for example me) will finish him for you.

• thanks for your help. I'm trying to kill him on easy... so I should be able to do it, it's just SO frustrating when I keep getting killed and not him. Have used rifles and got up close but only get him half dead ..... will keep trying for a while... if it doesn't work then I may come back for some more help!

Thanks again.

• I played the game on Hard the first time around and I did sit up half the night trying to kill this beast of a man :mad: The "shoot and hide behind the statues" approach didn't help me one bit.....his bolts only hit home time after time again, it took ages and his health remained so to say completely intact while Lara died over and over and over again. At the end I got so fed up with the whole guy that I swapped over to aggressive mode. Using the pistols I had Lara chasing him around the arena, rolling under the high wave of bolts and jumping over the low ones. You can see pretty early if his fire will be a low or high wave so just act accordingly right before it reaches Lara. It took me two attempts and less than five minutes to finish him off this way :D

• Thanks for your advice.... I'll try this later.... he has really been bugging me so going to rest for a couple of days and come back to it if I don't get him tonight.
    :mad:

• i first did the japan level on hard and i killed takamoto 1st time round, but then when i did it on easy it was harder... wierd.

Also, try to keep a distance from him, about 10 feet/ 3 metres should do it, i found when i went too near him it would become harder to avoid the green light.

Anyway good luck with killing him!

• I can't kill him either. When ever I get lara to run after him, he gets out of the camera view and all I see are the walls off the the right. It makes it really difficult to jump/roll under the energy waves because I don't know when to expect them. When I finally get close to him I usually get killed because I get confused about which buttons to press since I have to shoot, run/jump/roll all at the same time. Man, I just wanna kill him, get my rewards and move onto the next level.

• what platform do you have legend on? if you have it on pc, i would make the actions spread apart on the keyboard to make it easier. also it might help if you have full ammo.

• This is the strategy for those that like to play it safe. First, make sure you have a full machine gun.

Run immediately to a pole and climb it, then go and hide behind the statue opposite Takamoto, only running / rolling from statue to statue when he isn't firing green stuff at you. From there, keep your machine gun drawn and face him, and when he's not attacking, run sideways (so you can stay facing him) out of your hiding place and shoot at him. As soon as he shoots his green light again, move back sideways to your hiding spot.

Occasionally he moves around so you just run to a different statue.

Using this method it's possible to almost kill him without losing any health yourself, but you eventually run out of machine gun ammo, so you have to finish him off with either your pistol or a grenade. Both of these require attacking from a slightly closer range, though you can still hide behind the statues between his attacks. (You can still do it with the pistols from oppsite him but it takes a while because they have such limited range).

• I find it helpful to Rifle him (jump the loq blast and duck the high) until he runs behind a rock. Then, whip out the pistols and run around TOWARDS HIM. Shoot all the time, jump and roll, until he retreats. the idea is to cause as much damage with the pistols as possible so you don't run out of rifle ammo too early. As he runs away, change back to rifle. Look across the way: he should be there. Rinse and repeat!

I worked out this method after trying a few otehrs already listed here, and found it the most helpful. You may want to use grenades not pistols, but it's very difficult as he often runs before thety blast.

Hope this helps, anyon!

• I beat Takamoto on HARD with no additional medpacks, after about two days of trying. The keys for me were:

1) Combat lock on mode. L-1 This is essential for camera control and works well, don't ever let go.

2) I used the rifle on him until it was empty, then the pistols.

3) Keep moving, with combat lock on I continously ran at him.

and last but not least...

4) Timing! This was the hardest thing to nail down. The problem with dodging or jumping the energy bands is that it was very difficult (for me) to tell how close they actually were. I had to jump or dodge before I thought I needed to.

Anyhoo, I'm just glad it's OVER. Now I'm stuck in Kazakstan! [hehe]