Tomb Raider 9 General Discussion and Opinions

• In the end, the Single Player Mode decides it the game is any good

I definitely agree with you on that! :thumbsup

Everything I heard/read so far tells me the game will be great.

I'm rather excited about the game too, I can't wait for a demo! :D Wait, there is going to be a demo, right?

I haven't found any information whether there'll be one or not, but since there was a demo for TRU, I expect there'd be one for this one, too. The demo for TRU was released in 28th of October 2008, and the game came out on 21st November 2008, so I guess if there'll be a downloadable demo for TR9 it'd come out in... Mid-February? :chin

Oh, and my plans for pre-ordering Survival Edition of TR9 have been shattered. :cry It's so expensive in the local webshops, a bit over 65€ + delivery fees. ;( So, I guess I'll either preorder the "normal" edition (or whatever the one eith the least of exclusive thingies is called) or wait for the game to hit the shops (and first drafts of walkthroughs being done ;-) ). Not to mention the possiblity for waiting until I'll get it with some discount in some game shop, like after two years after the release... ;(

• Wait, there is going to be a demo, right?

I haven't heard anything definitive about that, but I guess there will be one. Practically all games nowadays have a demo of some sort.

like after two years after the release...

Oh, that would be harsh. I don't think I could wait that long! ;-)

• Despite the last reply being 52 days ago, and being a bit busy, I've gotten back on track on Tomb Raider! :wave2

First of all, 16 days later on the last post where we discussed a bit on the demo, it was revealed that there won't be one for this TR! :thumbsdown:
    You can read about it for example here: Tomb Raider Won't Get a Demo or Season Pass (IGN's article, posted on 18th of January)

My opinion: I feel sad! ;( I was expecting a demo for so much and I really don't get it how releasing one would have spoiled the story for the upcoming game... ?( The most important aspect of playing a demo, for me, would have been seeing the gameplay all by myself and seeing how my laptop would run the game in practice.

Second thing I'll post about are the specs of the Tomb Raider! You can read the specs of it for example here (PC Gamer.com, "Tomb Raider’s system specs released – will your PC survive?")

Apparently my Windows 7 laptop will be able to run the game relatively smoothly, but the only things that troubles me is Steam. I hope I don't have to get an account for it to play TR, as I have no intention to collect those achievements or play the multiplayer..

Third and the last thing I'll blabber about is the third Guide to Survival video, "Survival Combat". It made me feel nauseous with all of its gore and blood splattering. :dead I doubt there'll be an option to turn the splatters off, since "realism" seems to be such an essential thing in the gameplay... :S

• Apparently my Windows 7 laptop will be able to run the game relatively smoothly, but the only things that troubles me is Steam. I hope I don't have to get an account for it to play TR, as I have no intention to collect those achievements or play the multiplayer..

AFAIK you only need steem for the online part of the game. You can play everything else without.

• OK - I'm officially sick. Despite me having not too much money I already spent 150€ on the latest TR (and I still need the artbook) :-o

• AFAIK you only need steem for the online part of the game. You can play everything else without.

Alright, I really hope that is the case with TR. :-)

OK - I'm officially sick. Despite me having not too much money I already spent 150€ on the latest TR (and I still need the artbook) :-o

Well, I wouldn't say sick, I'd say you've got the most obvious TR hype syndrome! [hehe]

I've been looking at those awesome TR merchandise at the Tomb Raider Store, but they're rather expensive for my taste... But they do look good! :-)

• Alright, I really hope that is the case with TR. :-)

From the Tomb Raider tumblr page:

Q: Will there be any DRM?
    “We do not believe in strong anti-consumer DRM methods, so apart from the game using Steamworks and it having to be authenticated with your Steam account there is no additional DRM.”

OK, DRM is not the same as having to register with Steam to use multi player... But I thought you might want to know. ;-)

• From the Tomb Raider tumblr page:

OK, DRM is not the same as having to register with Steam to use multi player... But I thought you might want to know. ;-)

What does that mean in practice? ?( I have to have a Steam account to authenticate the game? 8|

Not as it'll be the end of the world, me getting a Steam account, but I really hate getting accounts to some services I almost never use... And I really don't get the DRM methods these days. But this is just me! :shy:

• I hate this development too. I tried to register a steam account yesterday, just to be prepared. Turns out "tombraidergirl" can not be chosen, because the name is taken. I later found out that one can link their PSN Account to their steam account, or use it to create a new one. So it might just be that I can not register "tombraidergirl" as it is locked by my PSN Account, or it still could be someone else... And of course I can not access my account as long as I have not played Portal 2 on my PS3 which is the only game supporting this feature. What a wast of time trying to figure this out...

In short: Forget the nice hair, I will be happy gaming on my consoles. :o)

• I'll gladly shoot some nice-hair-screens for you then ;) (hoping that my new PC can display them)

You are NOT tombraidergirl btw, as tombraidergirl on steam played a bunch of games.

• Hey ho, :winki:
    I'm new here so sorry if this question doesn't really belong here but I have a question about the pc system requirements. So, I was looking at recommended and minimal system req. but none of those graphics cards is mine, mine is Nvidia GeForce 210. which, as I read, is pretty bad for gaming, but I was able to play all other TR-s without any problem.

So, basically, my question is: is my graphics card going to support this game or not? :D

• The new game is once again a step up from Underworld. It's possible that your hardware wont make it. I am not saying you will not be able to play the game but if they don't support your graphics card, it's likely. I am afraid, you might have to wait till someone somewhere says (s) he can play the game with your hardware. And it might become necessary to upgrade.

• The new game is once again a step up from Underworld. It's possible that your hardware wont make it. I am not saying you will not be able to play the game but if they don't support your graphics card, it's likely. I am afraid, you might have to wait till someone somewhere says (s) he can play the game with your hardware. And it might become necessary to upgrade.

Yeah I was afraid of that ... :/

• As apparently some lucky people now have gotten their hands on to the new Tomb Raider, I'd like to know what are their first impressions on the game. :-)

I'm not getting the game anytime soon, but I'd like to know how do you people, who are playing it, feel about the game. What are the good (and bad, if there are any ;-) ) features in the gameplay/story etc.?

Thought about making own thread for the initial impressions, but it might as well fall under the category of general discussion... :chin

• The thing that I really do not like about having games tied to a Steam account (or any other account) is that, in 10 or even 20 years, when I want to go back and play them, who is to say the service provided by Steam will have survived that long? Will I no longer be able to play my games once Steam goes out of business? That's why I far prefer to get games independently of any service, which it seems nowadays is growing increasingly uncommon. But having said that, the only other games I play (Half-Life 2 series and Portal series) are on Steam [hehe]

On a different topic - I'm really excited to try this new instalment! However, I think I ought to wait until I can afford an external graphics card for my Mac Mini .. what do you guys think? Here are the specs, with the weakness being the graphics:
    Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    My opinion is that it will play the game OK at low to moderate graphics settings, but I want to play the game at maximum settings (including the cool TressFX) with a smooth framerate, so I think my graphics card my be too weak to allow this. Thanks for your thoughts.

• I totally agree with you on the Stream issue. I don't like depending on their existence.

Otherwise I'd get the game now. It looks amazing with or without the latest features, but I am not familiar with your particular hardware settings.

• Hi, all! :wave2

I can proudly announce that I've gotten over my fear of Steam (that almost rhymes! :-) ) and I've got the Tomb Raider now (hehee, like what, four months later? [hehe] ).

After 6-7 hours of more or less intense playing I can safely say: "OMG! This game is so awesome!" 8o

The graphics are very good and the animation is so smooth, and I frequently find myself trying to control Lara during cutscenes as the transition between cutscenes and in-game is so un-noticeable. [hehe] The TressFX hair causes severe lagging on my poor lappy, so I'don't use it. But that doesn't affect the enjoyable gameplay at all. ;-) Getting used to the controls took me a while, and all of the magical, tiny XP-rewarding pickups/GPS caches etc. are so hard to find with an untrained eye - but I've managed to complete a few challenges all by myself, which is a big accomplishment to a newbie like me. :D

The amount of gore disturbs me a bit, especially as I've managed to become a victim of so many gruesome deaths right from the start. I don't get those QTE's or those "SMASH E OR YOU DIE!" -moments! ?( Do I get the timing wrong or how come I end up dead despite smashing E's and F's or sideways buttons?! :-o And don't get me started on those slow-motion "shoot those guys before they shoot you" -things... :S I've ended up as wolves' lunch so many times that the wolves at Yamatai must be getting fat by now! :rofl I'm so bad at combat in this game... :shy:

I'm a bit confused about what my currect location is every now and then, but meh, I figure it out as I go along. [hehe] Also, I haven't got stuck yet, which is also a big accomplishment for me. I've only been slightly unsure of where I must go sometimes. And collecting salvage and XP is so much fun that I don't even want to proceed to all those mean-looking dark caves or enemy-filled areas. 8)

• Great to hear that you're enjoying it. I agree that Lara gets beat up heavily more than once and always survives it, which is a bit odd, but it's a videogame after all, even if Crystal kept saying that Teflon-Lara is gone ^^

Where are you at the moment? "6 or 7 hours" could mean anything but if you play the game like I did and try to find and do everything, the best moment are still waiting for you. (my Steam-Timer said 30 hours, when I finally reached the end, which is amazing for an adventure game :thumbsup

Once you're done you just HAVE to join us in multiplayer btw. I played it again yesterday and even if it's just shooting it's great fun :D

• Where are you at the moment? "6 or 7 hours" could mean anything but if you play the game like I did and try to find and do everything, the best moment are still waiting for you. (my Steam-Timer said 30 hours, when I finally reached the end, which is amazing for an adventure game :thumbsup

I'm at Shantytown, I cleared the hidden tomb (something with Tears in the name) and I am about to continue along the level. Got the fire arrows and all. :-) Haven't encountered Grim yet... (I'm pretty sure he'll be here if I remember correctly, I've spoilered myself by watching all the cutscenes on Youtube a long time ago before I got this game ;-))

Once you're done you just HAVE to join us in multiplayer btw. I played it again yesterday and even if it's just shooting it's great fun :D

We'll see about that, I've got to find out how it works and all. Not to mention my unreliable network connection and horrible combat skills. :shy: Maneuvering at Steam and game menus is enough of a challenge at the moment. [hehe] But I don't doubt it being fun! :D

I've also taken tons of screenshots to be added to WikiRaider... 8)

EDIT: I was just wondering that if/when I complete the game, will I still be able to replay locations and look for all those tiny things I've missed? Like in TRU's Treasure Hunt mode. Or do I have to make sure I have everything by fast travelling before proceeding to the very end of the game's plot